Are you on a search for the best microphone for recording a piano, but aren’t sure which one would suit your needs perfectly? We got you covered!
Once you see our list of the best mics for recording a piano, as well as our buying guide, you’ll be able to identify the one ideal for you and your needs in the blink of an eye!
Best Microphone For Recording Piano – Top Picks
1. Caattiilaa Microphone
We’ll start our list of the best microphones for recording piano with a USB mic by Caattiilaa that captures the details, nuances, and articulation with a high sampling rate which provides for an extended dynamic range. This professional mic provides you with richer and clear audio perfect for almost any occasion, including live streams, podcasts, voiceovers, and more. You can even use it for gaming if you want to!
The cardioid pickup pattern focuses on the source of the sound and shields it from the background and environmental noise effectively. With the pop filter, you can easily minimize subtle plosive and wind sounds. Using this mic is super easy as well—all you need to do is plug it in, and your PC should recognize it immediately. You can then proceed to record with no plugins necessary.
If you’re worried about installing the mic and you’re curious about how difficult this is to do, don’t be! You can unfold the tripod with ease and attach it to the mic swiftly. Then all you should do is secure it to the table, and you’ll be able to adjust it at any angle you want! It’s extremely easy and convenient.
2. SE Electronics Microphone
The next one on our list is the SE Electronics mic that provides you with neutral and natural sound at all times. The refined and smooth upper mids along with a low-peak presence are ideal for vocal miking apps.
Since this mic is shielded from outside noises and other instrument noises, you’ll be able to use it to record your piano sessions hassle-free whenever you want. It’s also excellent for stage performances since the integrated shock mount separates the microphone capsule from mechanical vibrations, so you can move around the stage easily without any rumbles and pops. The wind noise and plosive sounds are also greatly reduced, so you don’t have to worry about a thing when you’re using this mic.
Wondering what’s included in the package? Take a look at the list below to find out:
- Swivel mic clip
- Thread adapter
- Internal windscreen
- Carrying pouch
- 4-pack of Blucoil acoustic foam isolation panel wedges
- Blucoil 10-Foot balanced XLR cable
- 3-pin cable for microphones
- Blucoil mic boom arm plus pop filter
- Stereo headphones
3. Blucoil Microphone
The Blucoil cardioid condenser mic completely and accurately captures the nuance of your audio and provides you with an excellent low-frequency response, as well as crystal clear high ends. This mic is equipped with a 30Hz-20kHz frequency response and it offers warm sound with a balanced midrange and extra clarity. That is why this mic is one of the best choices when it comes to recording vocals, pianos, and other string instruments.
Curious about what you will get along with the mic? Check out the list below for more info about this:
- Shock isolation mount
- Rugged carry case
- Blucoil all-in-one microphone boom arm plus pop filter
- Blucoil 10-foot balanced XLR cable
- 3-pin cable for microphones
4. MXL Microphone
We’ll continue with the MXL microphone that produces crystal-clear audio whenever you need it to! This studio-grade mic is equipped with high-quality balanced output, and it is here to deliver low noise and high output gain. What else could you need?
The MXL mic’s low-frequency roll-off reduces the low-noise rumbles pickup, so you don’t have to worry about any unwanted noises popping up. You can use it for both single- and multi-voice recording, but also for capturing piano and string instrument sounds. What you’ll get in the package aside from the mic is listed below:
- Shock isolation mount
- Rugged carry case
- 2-pack of Blucoil 10-foot balanced XLR cables
- 3-pin cable for microphones
- Pro devices (male-to-female)
5. ZealSound Microphone
Looking for a microphone that you can pair with your Android, iPhone, and PC? The ZealSound mic is exactly what you need!
You can use this built-in 3.5mm jack recording mic with your phone and computer/laptop, and connecting the two is super easy with a 3.5mm port. You can then record music, singing, live streaming, or podcasts like a pro. The Y-splitter makes it compatible with most PC types out there and never causes a loss in voice conversion like some other USB mics.
The Echo feature that this mic boasts provides a louder and more sensitive output range. You can adjust your sound using a built-in sound card mixer controller. That way, you can reach a perfect voice, and use this mic for online classes, singing recordings, voice recordings, live streaming, instrument recording, and so much more. Since the stereo headphone jack allows you to monitor the mic input in real-time, you can use it in your home studio, as well as for karaoke, gaming, GarageBand, Skype, Zoom meeting, etc. The options are limitless!
The ZealSound mic is portable and durable, so you don’t have to worry about it malfunctioning or breaking after only a few uses. The stable tripod stand, as well as the pop filter, make doing voiceovers feel like a breeze. The windscreen pop filter shield also guarantees that your tracks are audible and comprehensible, and it makes your audio louder and clearer while getting rid of any hissing and lisping sounds.
6. MAONO Microphone
The MAONO microphone was designed with a professional sound chipset, which made it hold a high-resolution sampling rate. That is why this mic stands out as one of the best choices for recording piano, but also for various other uses! You can use it for singing, speaking, doing voiceovers, and so much more! The mic will ensure that the sound is always high-quality and crystal clear.
The USB 2.0 data port of this mic is extremely easy to connect with your PC and Linux system, which means there is no need for any additional gear, equipment, or software, nor for extra external sound cards. The double shielding that the USB cable features minimizes interference and provides you with the best experience on podcasts, live streams, video calls, and other types of recording.
The 16mm electret condenser transducer of this USB microphone provides a strong bass response and picks up crystal clear audio at all times. It’s compatible with most laptops, PCs, and mobile phones as well. Here’s what you will find in the box other than the MAONO mic:
- Adjustable scissor arm stand
- Metal shock mount
- Pop filter
- Foam mic windscreen
- Table mounting clamp
- USB-B to USB-A cable
7. FIFINE Microphone
The last one on our list of the best microphones for recording piano is the FIFINE microphone that is super easy to set up and start recording like a pro!
This mic allows you an easy connection to your PC or laptop without the need for any additional hardware. Getting high-quality sound for your voice and/or computer-based audio recordings has never been easier!
This microphone features rugged construction fot better and more durable performance and provides you with wide frequency response, but that is not all. It also handles high SPLs hassle-free! It’s a perfect choice for home-studio applications. The mic is designed to provide you with excellent tools to capture your voice in podcasts and voiceovers, and the double pop filter reduces any popping sounds that might compromise your recording. It’s excellent for both studio and home use.
If you’re worried about whether the mic is sturdy and durable enough, you don’t have to be! Since it features steel construction and it’s made of high-quality materials, you can rest assured the mic will last for a while. A studio-grade shock mount, a double pop filter, premium 8.2′ USB cable, tripod stand, and a user manual are all included in the package.
Before you make your final decision and purchase a mic, you should make sure you considered all of the factors that help ensure the product you get is good and high-quality. There is no need to buy something that won’t fit your needs entirely since you will likely only circle back to the beginning after going through the hassle of returning the product and having to purchase it again.
Luckily, you won’t have to spend an eternity trying to figure out which product is good and which one is not! With our buying guide, you can have all the crucial info at your fingertips in less than five minutes! All you need to do is read it, and you’ll be ready to start your shopping journey in a flash. This is what you need to take into consideration when choosing the best microphone for recording piano:
1. Polar Pattern
The first thing you should consider when choosing your mic is its polar pattern. If you don’t know what this is, it’s essentially the direction from which the microphone processes audio. With that being said, there is a wide range of different polar patterns, but we won’t bore you with details. You should be looking for cardioid microphones since they represent 180 degrees of signal and minimize annoying environmental noises. This type of info can usually be found in product descriptions, so make sure to check it out before purchasing the product.
The next factor you should consider is whether the mic you want to purchase is high-quality. It’s common for high-quality products to be a bit more expensive than low-quality ones, but if you want your mic to last for a long time and provide you with the best performance and experience, spending a few more bucks shouldn’t be an issue. Make sure to check product descriptions and see if the mic is made of durable and high-quality materials, as well as whether it features a steel construction or similar.
Ultimately, checking what kind of accessories you will be getting with your mic is essential. If you want to use it to record your piano sessions, make sure that the one you want to buy comes with all the tools necessary to attach the mic and position it in a way that will be convenient for such purposes. This info should also be displayed in product descriptions, as well as customer reviews, so don’t shy away from checking both of these.
1. How Many Microphones Do I Need To Record an Upright Piano?
For the best results, having two mics to record an upright piano would be ideal. You should also make sure they are spaced far enough apart.
2. Is It Possible To Record a Piano With One Mic?
Although having two microphones to record a piano is recommended, you can also go with using only one. The results may not be absolute perfection, but this is nonetheless completely doable.
3. What Is the Best Mic Brand for Recording Piano?
There is no shortage of excellent brands out there, including Blucoil and ZealSound. However, no matter what brand you end up choosing, you must make sure that all of the factors we listed in our buying guide are taken into consideration if you want to get a high-quality product to fit all your needs.
Purchasing the best microphone for recording a piano doesn’t have to be a burden! Once you find the one you like, make sure to check each factor from our buying guide off the list, and proceed to buy your perfect mic without any hassle!
If these weren’t enough, check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- PRO-GRADE PENCIL CONDENSER MICROPHONES : Capture the finest audio details with the LyxPro SDPC-2 stereo pair, ideal for overheads, acoustic, and...
- CUSTOMIZE PICKUP PATTERNS : Three interchangeable capsules Omni, Cardioid, and Super Cardioid, allow you to tailor the pickup pattern to your needs,...
- PRECISE AUDIO CAPTURE : The stereo pair accurately captures even the Slightest subtlest nuances, ensuring high-quality recordings that faithfully...
- EXPANSIVE FREQUENCY RESPONSE : With a frequency response of 30Hz-18kHz; Sensitivity of -38dB ± 3dB (0dB=1V/Pa at 1kHz) these microphones deliver a...
- BONUS ACCESSORIES INCLUDED : Enjoy added value with two windscreens, an aluminum carrying case, and two smooth-tilt microphone clips, making this...
- REPRODUCES DETAILED SOUNDS - The MXL 770 features a small 22mm condenser capsule that accurately captures the nuance of your audio source. It delivers...
- PROVIDES CLEAR AUDIO REPRODUCTION - The onboard low-noise FET preamp and transformerless balanced output offer a wide dynamic range. Its cardioid...
- DELIVERS WARMTH AND CLARITY - Equipped with 30Hz-20kHz frequency response, the MXL 770 yields warm sound with extra clarity and a balanced midrange....
- HANDLES LOUD INSTRUMENTS WELL - The MXL 770 microphone features a -10dB pre-attenuation switch, which facilitates a wide variety of sound sources. The...
- INCLUDES - MXL 770 Cardioid Condenser Microphone (Silver); Shock Isolation Mount; Rugged Carry Case. Blucoil 10-Foot Balanced XLR Cable - Premium...
- Easy Automatic Connection: This innovative wireless lav microphone is much easier to set. No Adapter, Bluetooth or Application needed. Just get the...
- Omnidirectional Sound Reception: Equipped with High Density Spray-proof Sponge and High-sensitivity Microphone, our device clearly records every...
- Full Compatibility: The upgraded wireless clip-on microphone is equipped with a Lighting connector and a charging Cable. Compatible with IOS...
- Universal Wireless System: The small lapel microphone is free of wire. You can hold it by hand or clip it on your shirt. Enable to cover 50ft for...
- Rechargeable Transmitter and Receiver: The wireless lavalier microphone is built in 65MAH rechargeable batteries up to 4.5 hours operation time with...
- Three-Capsule Array - Delivers legendary broadcast sound. Four Pickup Patterns: cardioid, omni, bidirectional, and stereo pickup patterns offer...
- Plug & Play - Instantly start recording and streaming on laptop or PC. USB Output, connect directly to your computer via the included USB cable.
- Stunning Design Recording Microphone - Features a visual design inspired by classic audio gear-a stylish metal design that will complement any desktop...
- Headphone Volume and Mic Mute - Control the volume of sound in your headphones and touch the mute button for those times mid-stream when you need to...
- Microphone Gain, Pickup Pattern Switch - Change between cardioid, omni, bidirectional and stereo pickup patterns. No Latency Monitoring monitor your...
- Large 32mm pressure gradient condenser capsule
- Gold-sputtered, 6 micron density diaphragm
- Solid state preamp balanced transformer output
- MXL-57 isolation shock mount available
- Custom Three-Capsule Array: Produces Clear, Powerful, Broadcast-Quality Sound For Youtube, Game Streaming, Podcasting, Zoom Calls And Music.
- Blue Voice Software: Craft The Perfect Broadcast Vocal Sound And Entertain Your Audience With Enhanced Effects, Advanced Modulation And Hd Audio...
- Four Pickup Patterns: Flexible Cardioid, Omni, Bidirectional, And Stereo Pickup Patterns Allow You To Record In Ways That Would Normally Require...
- Onboard Audio Controls: Headphone Volume, Pattern Selection, Instant Mute, And Mic Gain Put You In Charge Of Every Level Of The Recording And...
- Positionable design: Pivot the mic in relation to the sound source to optimize your sound quality thanks to the adjustable desktop stand and track...
- IOS LIGHTNING CONNECTION - Apple MFi certified and compatible with all iOS devices with a Lightning connector
- POCKET-FRIENDLY - Capture powerful audio recordings on the move without the need for large and heavy audio equipment
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE - Flexibility to tilt, flip and rotate the microphone up to 90° to get stereo clarity, whatever your sound source
- TWO FREE APPS - ShurePlus MOTIV Audio and ShurePlus MOTIV Video allow you to customize the performance and set-up of the microphone for professional...
- NO WIND NOISE - Includes a black foam windscreen (part number AMV88-WS); please note that the windscreen comes attached and can be removed if desired
- Noise-Cancellation: With one-button active noise cancellation, reduce ambient noise and record clear sound every time. Suitable for Twitch, Discord,...
- One-tap Mute: Tap the top of this streaming mic to immediately mute when needed. Tap again to unmute. Along with RGB volume indicator, this USB...
- Strong Compatibility: Equipped with a two-in-one connector (USB & Type-C), the microphone cable is braided for durability. Easily compatible with PC,...
- Zero Latency Monitoring: With 3.5mm headphone jack, you can listen to the recorded content in real-time without echo, allowing you to effectively...
- Clear Sound: This condenser gaming mic uses cardioid pick-up pattern for clear sound quality recording. With excellent active noise cancellation, it...
- Best of both worlds: professional handheld dynamic microphone with USB digital output for connecting to a computer and XLR analog output for...
- Sound your best: dynamic microphone capsule with a cardioid pickup pattern captures sound from in front of the microphone and less from the side and...
- Hear the mix: onboard 1/8" (3. 5mm) headphone jack allows for zero-latency monitoring, so you can hear yourself without any delay or echo, plus a mix...
- Start Recording: The Q2U is a plug-and-play device, meaning it doesn’t need any special drivers to work with your computer. Just connect the...
- It’s All in the Box: The Q2U Recording and Podcasting Pack includes everything you need to start recording great sounding projects: an extended...
- ultra-hd quality audio - 24-bit/192khz high-resolution converters
- adaptive capsule array - four-capsule mic array provides four user-friendly capture modes
- easy setup and universal compatibility - intuitive, plug-and-play setup and operation with support for mac and pc, plus ios and android tablets and...
- headphone output and mix controls - zero latency monitoring while tracking with full control over output volume, mic gain and mute
- versatile mounting options - use with the integrated desktop mic stand or mount to a standard or boom mic stand