The best passive speakers for turntable are some of the most reliable and affordable devices that every music enthusiast should possess. Without quality passive speakers, your turntable is nothing but a decoration that lacks any type of functionality.
However, if you add top-notch speakers, you will have an exceptional sound system that will serve you for a long time. Since today’s market is packed with such products that come from different brands, you might find yourself in a dilemma when browsing.
Choosing the right pair of speakers is more difficult than it ever was due to the competitive market and similar features that their products have. We understand this, so we did research and made a list of some of the best passive turntable speakers you can get for your money’s worth. So, without further delay, let us dive in.
List of Best Passive Speakers for Turntable
1. Sony SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speaker System
Reliable, powerful, and durable, these speakers deliver exceptional sound and come from trustworthy Sony. These are a great choice for audiophiles due to their ¾-inch super tweeters that extend the frequency response and grant superb clarity for a very reasonable price.
Their power sits at 100W, which is also pretty good when you consider the fact that they come for less than $200. When you first start using these speakers, you will quickly find out all the strengths and weaknesses they come with.
SSCS5 provides very good voice reproduction; however, the 5.25-inch woofer would really benefit from more bass, but it is a minor drawback. The overall sound is very satisfying and full, even on non-vocal recordings. The mid-range is pretty smooth, and the overall quality of the product is well worth the price you are paying.
2. Audioengine A5+ Plus Wireless Speaker
Coming from the Audioengine store, these speakers perfectly combine full sound output and sturdy construction in one neat package. They are available in three different colors for you to choose from and offer exceptional performance that any audiophile will appreciate.
The bass has solid depth and clarity throughout the speakers’ frequency range. The sound is full and rich, and although they are a bit pricier than other competing products, they are worth every penny. A5+ is mainly designed as a desktop speaker but is suitable for other applications as well.
The build quality and the look for speakers really speak volumes about the quality and attention to detail during the manufacturing process. In addition, they are also very easy to set up and use. The bass is loud and punchy, and the overall quality is really worth the price tag.
3. Polk Audio T15 100 Watt Home Theater Bookshelf Speakers
Polk Audio T15 is hands down one of the most cost-effective solutions for any music enthusiast. Although the bass does not leave too much space for other frequencies to stand out, mids and highs are still pretty good, and the overall sound quality is something to admire, especially when you consider the price tag.
These speakers boast one 0.75” silk/polymer composite dome tweeter and one 5.25” mineral-filled polymer composite cone woofer. They also give you the benefit of magnetic shielding, which means that you will not have any interference from nearby cables and devices.
The bass port is in front, which is something that many users will appreciate, although this is a purely aesthetic thing. However, this design enables you to wall mount the speakers, which is a neat little feature. Given the compact size, you can place them wherever you like, which is just another plus and reason to check these speakers out.
4. Micca OoO Bookshelf Speakers with 3-Inch Woofers and Silk Tweeter
Coming from the Micca store, these bookshelf speakers come at a very low price while delivering excellent performance. Although they are not without flaws and drawbacks, they still provide excellent value for the price and are a great choice if you do not want to break the budget.
As you may know, these speakers can be used as a center channel in your household sound setup. You can also purchase two more Micca OoO and use them in 3.1 setup which is pretty convenient. The bottom line is that you can buy a good AVR and throw in a couple of these speakers to get an excellent sound system.
Since these speakers have 83 dB sensitivity, you will be required to crank up the volume in case you set them up in a medium or large room. Although vinyl wrapping leaves a lot to be desired, it does not feel cheap, and the overall construction feels sturdy and satisfying. Certainly, these speakers are one of the best budget choices you could go for.
5. Klipsch Synergy Black Label B-100 Bookshelf Speaker Pair
These Klipsch speakers look great right out of the box with their black and copper design that mixes vintage and contemporary in style. However, visual appearance is not the only thing that is great about these speakers since they offer a truly superb sound.
This speaker can be set up as a left, right, or center speaker, which gives you an excellent level of versatility when it comes to your household audio setup. The sound that Synergy B100 produces is full, rich, and warm, and the volume is not an issue either since the power sits at 200W in combination with a 0.75-inch tweeter and 4-inch woofers.
These speakers feature linear travel suspension, helping you eliminate all distortion for the clean and full sound. The one drawback that Synergy B-100 has is that it requires several hours of break-in before you can enjoy its best performance.
Read More: Best Receivers for Klipsch Speakers
6. Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2″ 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair
Coming from the Dayton Audio store, these passive speakers are very versatile, lightweight, and compact. Apart from great construction, they also come with a very affordable price tag and produce the sound that fits better with their much more expensive counterparts.
The sound is well-balanced and clear, and for speakers of this size, the bass is full and has a pretty good definition. You can also add a subwoofer, but most users will not feel the need to do so. Sound-wise, these speakers are a pleasant surprise; however, out-of-the-box highs are slightly muted.
The 6.5” drivers sound excellent in living room sound systems or home theaters, and the mid-range sounds pretty good. They are also an excellent choice for listeners that require good starting speakers but do not want to break the budget. Good build quality and suitable sound for the price.
7. Jamo S 803 Speakers
These speakers come from the Danish manufacturer Jamo and are available in black, white, and walnut colors for you to choose from. As far as the overall construction goes, they are skinnier in the front, and they get wider towards the back, giving them quite an unorthodox visual appearance.
The treble of these speakers is very lively and has a very pronounced top-end. The sound is almost too clean and lean, which is something that you would not expect from bookshelf speakers, especially ones that come with such an affordable price tag.
The bass depth is very good, and as you increase bass, you also increase treble. As a result, you get that rich and full sound that most users love. The mid-range is reliable, clear, and very well articulated. It is not neutral and color free but is definitely suitable for most audiophiles.
8. Singing Wood T25 Passive 2 Way Bookshelf Speakers
These passive 2-way speakers come from the Singing Wood store and are available in beech wood and black color patterns. They are visually appealing, low priced, and an excellent solution for small spaces.
They come with a free speaker wire, which you can connect and immediately turn the speakers on, after which you are all set. There is also a nice little bonus since the speakers come with a metal wall bracket mounted on the back of the speakers, which is excellent if you want to hang them on the wall.
Singing Wood T25 is a well-engineered and thought-out product. The connectors can take a banana plug or speaker wire, which is, as we mentioned already, included in the package. Decent lows pleasant mids without too powerful end is what makes the sound of these speakers so good. They are definitely worth checking out, especially when you consider the affordable price.
9. Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers
Coming from the Edifier store, these bookshelf speakers come in black and brownish wood colors for you to choose from. They feature digital optical and coaxial inputs and outputs alongside Bluetooth connectivity which is pretty convenient.
These speakers boast excellent distortion protection due to their 5” metal alloy cone woofer, which also produces excellent and deep bass. Since this product boasts optical and an RCA input, you can easily connect two devices simultaneously. Operating it is pretty straightforward due to conveniently located controls, and DSP helps you enhance the crossover for more natural audio sound.
The speakers also boast silk domed Eagle Eye tweeters, which is cutting-edge technology developed by Edifier. Well-crafted with efficient design, these bookshelf speakers are well worth checking out. Although the price is a bit higher than the rest of the products we have listed, they are truly worth every penny.
Read also: Best Speakers for Karaoke
Things to Consider When Purchasing the Best Passive Speakers for Turntable
One of the main reasons why audiophiles opt for passive speakers for the turntable is their increased flexibility. However, there are many other important features you should take into consideration when making this purchase. To help you make an educated choice, we have put together a brief list of guidelines you should follow in the section below.
One of the first things you should think about when buying passive speakers is their power. Most passive speakers on today’s market have suggested power range, and exceeding this range will make the speakers fail.
The power of speakers is measured in Watts, and the higher the wattage is, the more effective your speakers will be.
SPL (Sound Pressure Level)
The SPL is another aspect worthy of consideration. It is measured in decibels, and it refers to the maximum level at which you can listen to the music on speakers. Always try to opt for speakers that offer greater SPL.
The frequency response is something that every modern-day speaker comes with. It refers to an impact on the audio frequencies they can reproduce. Picking speakers with a balanced frequency response will increase the overall quality of sound output. With a broader frequency range comes a much richer sound rise.
Connectivity is another important aspect to look for when purchasing passive speakers. Before spending any money, make sure that speakers are compatible with your current configuration since speaker cables from the amplifier’s output connect passive speakers to your turntable.
Wired or Wireless
Nowadays, many audiophiles opt for wireless speakers due to their ease of use. However, before you invest your money in such speakers, make sure that you have a working and reliable Bluetooth connection. If this connection is faulty, the audio may drop, and you can have interferences while listening to music.
On the other hand, wired speakers are still quite a reliable option to go for. If this is your preference, make sure that the product comes with a cable that will fit your turntable. The bottom line is that both options are reliable, and all of it comes to your personal liking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use powered speakers as passive speakers?
Yes, you can, but you will need to modify them. You will need to remove the amplifier from the speaker cabinet and add leads to passive crossover.
How do I connect my turntable to passive speakers?
This is a fairly simple process. You are required to ground your turntable first, then connect it to the phono preamp. After you complete this step, connect the preamp to the amplifier, and finally connect the amplifier to your passive speakers.
How should I compare the loudness of the speakers?
The easiest way to do this is to check the power output of the speakers. The power is measured in watts, and the more watts the product has, the louder the speakers are.
Can I connect several devices with speakers?
Yes, you can, but it depends on the connectivity options that come with your speakers. Some speakers come only with an RCA cable, which is enough to connect only one device. However, most of the modern passive speakers come with dual RCA, Bluetooth, AUX, and other inputs that will allow you to connect to more than one device at a time.
Are speakers for turntable necessary?
Since turntables do not come with built-in speakers, you will have to get some external speakers for them. If you decide to go for passive speakers, you will have to use an external amp in order for them to work properly.
This concludes our guide for the best passive speakers for the turntable. We tried to include the products that are suitable for different budgets and different needs, so whether you like power and performance, or smaller discreet or cheaper versions, you will surely find the one that will suit you best.
Bear in mind all features and tiny details we have listed in this article and look for second opinions and customer ratings. By doing so, you will be able to make more educated choices and get the best value for your money, which is what every audiophile strives towards.
If these weren’t enough, check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- 3-WAY FREQUENCY: This passive bookshelf speaker is composed of 5‘’+2‘’+1‘’ three speakers, responsible for deducing every detail of the...
- INTELLIGENT CROSSOVER: In order to optimize the quality of music, this passive speaker is added a high-end crossover developed by Moukey inside the...
- HANDMADE WOODEN ENCLOSURE: The passive speaker used handcrafted wooden boxes, accurate to every 1CM level and structure, to achieve the best enjoyment...
- WALL-MOUNTABLE: In addition to the normal placement of the speakers, we also designed independent hooks on the back panel to facilitate you to hang...
- MULTI-SCENE APPLICATION: Moukey's passive bookshelf speakers can be applied to family, karaoke, small bar, study, bedroom, etc. Note: Passive speakers...
- BLUETOOTH 5.0 - Pair the speaker with your smartphone, tablet, Mac, or laptop to play music wirelessly, no need to deal with messy wires.
- SUB OUT AND OPT/COAX INPUTS - Subwoofer output with automatic detection and built-in crossover. Optical and coaxial inputs to ensure a lossless...
- DISTORTION-FREE SOUND - Fill your room with beautiful sound with its 42W continuous undistorted power, 13mm silk dome tweeter unit, and 4-inch...
- UPDATED REMOTE CONTROL - Wireless remote for easy control of volume, mute/unmute, switch to OPT/COAX mode, line-in, and Bluetooth modes. Bass, treble,...
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY - Guaranteed high quality and reliability with hassle-free parts and labor warranty for two years in USA and Canada.
- Mountable Indoor Wired Speakers - Traditional Passive Speaker Design, Simply Drive Power From Your Amplifier Or Receiver
- High Quality - Full Range Sound Coverage With 2.5" Polypropylene Woofers, Frequency Response Is 150Hz-20 Khz With 88Db At 8Ohm
- Durable And Mountable - Black Abs Sealed Cabinets With Spring Loaded Raw Wire Connectors And Mounting Brackets. Big Sound From A Compact Speaker Size...
- System Requirements - Any Amp Or Receiver With Raw Speaker Wire Outputs, Power From Your Amp Should Be No Less Than 20 And No More Than 200 Watts Per...
- The KEF Q350 Bookshelf Speaker is the newest iteration of KEF award-winning Q Series. The Q350 features a new cabinet, sleek new finishes, and an...
- The Q350 contains an enhanced Uni-Q driver Array designed to smooth out treble frequencies, and reimagined crossovers to provide cleaner and more...
- The front port has been moved to the back of the Q350 and internal architecture has been redesigned to reduce internal resonances to improve audio...
- The Q350 is available in sleek matte Black and White vinyl finishes.
- IMPORTANT NOTE - The COVO-S cannot be used with turntables. It is a passive bookshelf speaker and requires a connection to an amplifier or home...
- COMPACT SPEAKER, GREAT SOUND - At only 5.1-inch tall and 4.2-inch wide, The Micca COVO-S speaker delivers great sound despite its diminutive size,...
- VERSATILE PLACEMENT - Its slim shape and classic design easily fit in a wide variety of room decor as bookshelf speakers, center channel speakers, or...
- WOOL WOOFER - Each COVO-S speaker holds a 3-inch wool fiber woofer in a ported enclosure, delivering warm and accurate vocals and usable bass...
- CONCENTRIC TWEETER - By sharing a common acoustical center point, the concentric 0.75-inch PEI tweeter design maintains coherency through the...
- Bluetooth wireless - popular classic bookshelf speakers now can be enjoyed without the hassle of wires. Simply connection to an iPhone, Android,...
- Studio sound quality - Naturally fine tuned sound reproduction from 4 inch bass and 13mm Silk dome tweeter.
- Optical and coaxial inputs - digital inputs to enable lossless connection to most TV and computers.
- Remote control - adjust the volume and toggle inputs at your fingertips. Bass and treble control located on the side of main speaker.
- 2 year warranty - quality components in solid MDF wood Housing are built to last. 24 month parts and labor warranty in USA and Canada.
- 300 WATT POWER: These portable full range high powered bookshelf speakers have a maximum power output of 300 watt and 150 watt RMS so you can play...
- HI-FI SOUND REPRODUCTION: These active + passive bookshelf speakers are equipped w/ 5.25" monitor speaker driver and 1" aluminum dome tweeter and...
- COMPATIBLE WITH BLUETOOTH: The stereo speaker system is compatible w/ bluetooth for wireless audio streaming and works with devices like iPhone,...
- CONNECTIONS: This bookshelf desktop speaker is equipped w/ RCA (L/R), Aux audio input and USB flash drive reader and supports MP3 digital audio file....
- REAR PANEL CONTROL: The audio processing bass reflex active bookshelf speakers is equipped w/ rear panel control center and built-in digital audio...